How to change your SGR ticket details, SGR ticket cancellation, and refund process
This article will help you answer the following questions:
- I have booked from the wrong station. How do I change my SGR ticket?
- I booked the morning train instead of the evening one/ evening train instead of morning. How do I change the time on my ticket?
- Can I cancel or get a refund on my SGR ticket?
Read Also: Holiday travel: How to find cheap flights
Advantages of booking your SGR ticket online
Most travelers consider the online booking system convenient, efficient and a faster way to plan their trips. The SGR is specifically a faster and safer way to travel between Nairobi and Mombasa because there is no traffic jam to keep you on the road and no tired drivers to dodge. However, you need to be very careful when booking your ticket online.
Read Also: How to book SGR ticket online-complete guide
Some of the disadvantages of online SGR ticket are;
- There is a high chance of making errors. The online SGR ticket booking process is not straightforward. You need to know the exact train you want and pay keen attention to every detail you are requested or enter. Any slight mistake may lead to a loss of your money.
- Seat selection is not possible on the online booking platform. The SGR online booking system is not the same as online flight booking where you select your preferred seat during booking. You get random seats on the SGR booking which you cannot change. It is impossible to know whether your seat is on the window or aisle. If you want to select a specific seat or are traveling with friends, it is advisable to visit the nearest SGR terminal for manual booking as this is the only way to book a specific seat.
- Time selection is automatic. You must know the type of train that travels at your preferred time. There are two trains namely the intercounty (morning train) and express (express train).
- Online SGR ticket cancellation or modification is not possible.
How to change your SGR train booking, cancellation process & charges
To change the details of your current train booking, you need to cancel your current booking and rebook using the new details. A surcharge fee of 30% is applied to your ticket, amounting to KES 300 and 900 for economy and first-class tickets respectively. Using the refund you receive, you can book a new ticket.
Follow these steps:
- Visit the nearest SGR terminal or call the SGR booking office on +254-709-388-888.
- Print your ticket if you had booked online.
- Check train availability.
- Book a new SGR ticket.
- Apply for cancellation of current SGR ticket.
- Get a 70% refund on the old SGR ticket. Kindly note that you need to apply for the refund not later than 48 hours and 72 hours before travel for individuals and groups respectively.
- Pay for your new ticket.
If you have cash, this process is faster. Just present the ticketing agents with your old ticket and the new travel details. Once the new ticket details have been confirmed, you will be asked to pay the 30 % cancellation fee and then receive your new ticket.
Have any questions about the SGR? Let us know in the comments box below and we shall try to give as much information as we are able to.