How to change your SGR ticket details, cancel your ticket and get a refund
This article will help you answer the following questions:
- I chose the wrong departure station or date when booking my SGR ticket. How do I change my ticket?
- I booked intercounty train instead of Madaraka Express. Can I change my SGR booking?
- I will not be able to travel on the day I booked. Can I cancel my SGR ticket online?
- Can I get a refund on my SGR ticket if I do not travel?
SGR ticket cancellation process
To change the details of your current train booking, you need to cancel your current booking and rebook using the new details.
Follow these steps:
- Visit the nearest SGR terminal or call the SGR booking office on +254-709-388-888.
- Print your ticket if you had booked online.
- Check train availability.
- Book a new SGR ticket.
- Apply for cancellation of the current SGR ticket.
- Get a 70% refund on the old SGR ticket. Kindly note that you need to apply for the refund not later than 48 hours and 72 hours before travel for individuals and groups respectively.
- Pay for your new ticket.
An alternative way to change your SGR ticket details
If you have cash, this process is faster. Just present the ticketing agents with your old ticket and the new travel details. Once the new ticket details have been confirmed, you will be asked to pay the 30 % cancellation fee and then receive your new ticket.
SGR ticket cancellation charges
A surcharge fee of 30% is applied to your ticket, amounting to KES 300 and 900 for economy and first-class tickets respectively. Using the refund you receive, you can book a new ticket. If you do not wish to purchase a new ticket, you are free to leave after getting your 70 percent refund.
Have any questions about the SGR? Let us know in the comments box below and we shall try to give as much information as we are able to.
Kindly note that Kenya Railways has amended the SGR cancellation policy during COVID.
Find an update on how to change your SGR ticket during COVID here: SGR ticket cancellation during COVID